Wednesday, February 24, 2010

"We need to eat more fish!"

We all do I think. I love to eat fish but can get a little lazy about making it as often as I should. So today I went shopping with the intention of buying it, which is a start. Ages ago I mentioned one of my favourite new cookbooks and tonights dinner is coming from the second one which I also bought, Whitewater Cooks at Home. There are two amazing recipes that I really like for fish, one I will make tonight with the sole and the other with the ling cod, which is now in the freezer, it is on page 127.
The first is a Sole Gratin with tomatoes, capers and olives, page 114.
1 1/2 lb of sole or red snapper; 1t salt and 1t pepper; 1 28oz can of plum tomatoes, drained and chopped; 1/3c olive oil; 1 small onion, diced; 1/4c pitted kalamata olives, chopped; 1 T capers (I usually double); 1/2c breakcrumbs or panko; 1/2c flat leaf parsley. chopped; 2 more T olive oil.
Preheat your oven to 400F. Lightly oil an oven proof gratin dish. Season the fish with s&p and roll them up and place them in the dish. Combine the tomatoes, olive oil, onion, olives, capers and 1/4c of the parsley. Spoon this mixture over the fish. Combine the breadcrumbs, the rest of the parsley and the 2T olive oil, scatter over the tomatoes on top of fish. Bake for about 25mins until the crumbs are crispy and brown and the fish is baked through. Serve with mashed potatoes or rice, heavenly!

No comments:

Post a Comment