Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ju Jubes

Now, I realize that this is not a dinner, nor is it an ingredient that I might add to make dinner. But it is definitely a food (?!) that conjures up very strong memories for me. A long time ago, nearly thirty three years ago in fact, I was introduced to jujubes. Did you know that you can eat jujubes in bed quietly if you take them out of their bag and spread them out on the bedsheet? And if no one sees you eating them, they do not count? Well, I did not know that either but I discovered it one evening while having a sleepover at my new friend's house. We went to see the movie Fame, yes, the original. But before going to bed we said good night to her Mom who of course wanted to see us and hear all about the movie. What did we discover upon sitting down on her bed? Little lumps under the duvet! What fun we had talking and eating jujubes with her while recounting all of the details of the movie.
That evening and many more memories of her will stay with me, she was beautiful and funny and even tolerated our attempts at hair colour in her kitchen. Some foods really do have powerful emotions associated with them, even ju jubes.

1 comment:

  1. This is a beautiful tribute from Carolyn to a wonderful lady--s.

    ReplyDelete